The Matrix....

Latest news from KP Technologies on current product develoments

Moderator: KPierson

The Matrix....

Postby KPierson » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:12 pm

I started testing our newest development over the weekend (while Kris was busy adding a bunch of new products to the site for sale).

The new development interprets signals from the Nissan/Infiniti 'matrix' of switches on the key staulks. This means that it is now possible to 'tap' in to the fog light switch, the flash to pass switch, and ANY other switch on either the turn signal or windshield wiper staulks.

For those who don't know, Nissan engineered a switching matrix that consists of a total of 10 wires, 5 outputs and 5 inputs. The switches form a grid and the entire thing cycles at 100hz. Before our module was created it was impossible to use the factory switches.

Depending on demand this product may make it to market, but may not. It was developed in conjunction with the 'independant fog light control' idea. Nissan fog lights will NOT operate without the low beams on, until now.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Postby SFLG35 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 pm

o god
what a name
Daniel
daniel.bazley@kptechnologies.com

Florida G35 Club

5AT Coupe Volk GT-C Mercury Silver 19’s Invidia Exhaust
KPTechnologies OEM Remote Window Up KPTechnologies VDC Memory KPTechnologies Shift Light KPTechnologies Auto Lock/Unlock KPTechnologies Sunroof Control with OEM Remote
SFLG35

Re: The Matrix....

Postby boone-titan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:52 pm

KPierson wrote:I started testing our newest development over the weekend (while Kris was busy adding a bunch of new products to the site for sale).

The new development interprets signals from the Nissan/Infiniti 'matrix' of switches on the key staulks. This means that it is now possible to 'tap' in to the fog light switch, the flash to pass switch, and ANY other switch on either the turn signal or windshield wiper staulks.

For those who don't know, Nissan engineered a switching matrix that consists of a total of 10 wires, 5 outputs and 5 inputs. The switches form a grid and the entire thing cycles at 100hz. Before our module was created it was impossible to use the factory switches.

Depending on demand this product may make it to market, but may not. It was developed in conjunction with the 'independant fog light control' idea. Nissan fog lights will NOT operate without the low beams on, until now.

I belong to several forums for the Nissan Titan. I can tell you that there would be a great deal of interest in the ability to operate the fogs independent of the headlights. This topic has been discussed at length several times on all the forums. Months ago, I spent several hours pouring over the "matrix" you mentioned trying to figure out how I could fake the BCM into seeing the headlight signal so the fogs would be hot. I'm a mechanical engineer so obviously, I failed. I'd be glad to send you the forum links I spoke of. Also see your located in Beavercreek, Oh. I'm in Boone county Ky and work in Evendale not all that far away. If you need a beta tester for the Titan give me a shout.
boone-titan

Postby KPierson » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:20 pm

I would have to take a look at the Titan Service Manual to check for compatibility. From the service manuals I have seen I have noticed that some Nissan's switch the (-) and some switch (+). The G35 outputs a (+) signal on the active channel.

If you would be interested in beta testing we could set something up on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The install is fairly quick (at least on the BCM side of things). If you already have the relay installed to turn the fog lights on it would take a matter of mintues to get the switch side working.

Let me know if you would like to set something up!

Thanks,
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby boone-titan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:27 pm

KPierson wrote:I would have to take a look at the Titan Service Manual to check for compatibility. From the service manuals I have seen I have noticed that some Nissan's switch the (-) and some switch (+). The G35 outputs a (+) signal on the active channel.

If you would be interested in beta testing we could set something up on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The install is fairly quick (at least on the BCM side of things). If you already have the relay installed to turn the fog lights on it would take a matter of mintues to get the switch side working.

Let me know if you would like to set something up!

Thanks,

From what I've seen in the "matrix" the titan works by switching the negative (-) to the BCM which then sends a signal to close the relay and energize the fogs. Where it gets tricky is that the BCM must also see a lowbeam on signal before it will throw the relay. As well, if it sees the highbeam it drops the relay out. I have the Service Manual on CD and could copy the section with the data for you to have a look at.
, Boone

Edit..e-mailed the info to you at info@kptechnologies.com
boone-titan

Postby KPierson » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:06 pm

What our module does is intercept the fog light switch data BEFORE it goes in to the BCM. We then use an external relay to turn the fog lights on. Therefore, there is no need to make the BCM think the headlights are on.

In the service manual index (idx.pdf) look up 'combination switch.' Follow that link and see if you can find the picture of the actual matrix. The picture will have a picture of the BCM with the 5 outputs, 5 inputs, and 25 total switches. Take a screen shot of the matrix and send it my way (Kevin.Pierson AT KPtechnologies.com).

Like I said, in the G35 coupe when a channel is active it is held at battery voltage, and that is how are current module is set up. If the active channel is held low we should be able to still work with it, I'll just have to recode the module (something that will happen sooner or later anyway I'm sure).

I'm not familiar with Boone County, where exactly is it?

Thanks!
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby boone-titan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:27 pm

KPierson wrote:What our module does is intercept the fog light switch data BEFORE it goes in to the BCM. We then use an external relay to turn the fog lights on. Therefore, there is no need to make the BCM think the headlights are on.

In the service manual index (idx.pdf) look up 'combination switch.' Follow that link and see if you can find the picture of the actual matrix. The picture will have a picture of the BCM with the 5 outputs, 5 inputs, and 25 total switches. Take a screen shot of the matrix and send it my way (Kevin.Pierson AT KPtechnologies.com).

Like I said, in the G35 coupe when a channel is active it is held at battery voltage, and that is how are current module is set up. If the active channel is held low we should be able to still work with it, I'll just have to recode the module (something that will happen sooner or later anyway I'm sure).

I'm not familiar with Boone County, where exactly is it?

Thanks!

Kevin,
The Greater Cincinnati Airport and Florence are in Boone county. I'm just west of the airport. I'll send you that screen shot.
Thanks!
boone-titan

Postby KPierson » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:58 pm

There is a chance I might be in Florance this weekend! My girlfriends sister and bother in law live there and we may make a trip to see them. Any chance you'll be availible for some probing and testing?? :)
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby KPierson » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:45 pm

Thanks for the Email, the BCS.pdf file contained the info we are looking for. The Titan does in fact switch just like the G35 coupe, so the same module should work!
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby boone-titan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:19 pm

KPierson wrote:There is a chance I might be in Florance this weekend! My girlfriends sister and bother in law live there and we may make a trip to see them. Any chance you'll be availible for some probing and testing?? :)

I e-mailed you some info tonight
boone-titan

Postby KPierson » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:12 pm

I'm not going to be in Ohio this weekend, so we'll have to reschedule for another weekend, let me know when you are free!
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby pythonjosh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Hey Kevin,
Could you post up or email me info for the Matrix for the G35?
What all the Matrix control?
Thanks for your work!
pythonjosh

Postby KPierson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 pm

What exactly do you want to know? The primary use of this module is to to decode the fog light switch signal and turn the fog lights on independently of the headlights. It theoretically could decode any signal that is on the matrix (all the functions that are on the turn signal stalk.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Return to Product Development