damage to windows already closed

Moderator: KPierson

damage to windows already closed

Postby pomonabill221 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm

New here and very interested in the HR20 (Honda window rollup module) for my Ridgeline.
One thought that I wanted to know about.
IF some of the windows are already closed, and the module tries to close all the windows, Can/will the motor drive for the closed windows be damaged?
I don't want to damage the drive for my windows by trying to run the motor(s) stalled as I couldn't imagine that it would be too good for the drive mechanicals.
Thanks!
pomonabill221

Re: damage to windows already closed

Postby KPierson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 pm

The KPtechnologies HM20 (and HR20) modules do not drive the window motors directly, instead they send a signal to the cars BCM and the factory controls handle the actual movement of the windows. Modern day power window control systems have integrated safeties that prevent powering the window motors once they are all the way up. This can be verified by raising your windows with the OEM switch and holding the switch in the "UP" position after the windows are closed - generally you can tell when the power to the motor cuts off.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Re: damage to windows already closed

Postby pomonabill221 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:19 am

Thank you for your response. Yes I realize that the HR20 does not directly control the window... sorry I wasn't clear.

I have the service manual and according to the wiring diagram, there are no controls to determine whether or not the window is up, but there is a symbol on the motor that looks like a circuit breaker.
Whether of not it is a breaker I need to find out, but I would imagine that the design of power windows in modern cars, stalling has been taken into account and is designed in if you will..

Just think... Little Johnny is in the back seat and we are driving down the road, and he gets curious and pulls up on the window control, and since nothing is happening, he holds it in that position for a long time.... no damage and if held long enough, the over current breaker in the motor opens and allows the motor to cool.

Would be nice if each window had limit switches, but that would add alot of cost and might decrease reliability as the switches would be inside the door and exposed to weather.

I am sure a few seconds of motor stall would not hurt anything but I was curious.

Thanks!
pomonabill221

Return to Window Roll-up Module (Honda/Acura)