Honda Ridgeline Rear Window Information

Moderator: KPierson

Honda Ridgeline Rear Window Information

Postby KPierson » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:50 pm

Here is how to hook up the rear window output on modules that contain this feature:

The purple wire is a (-) 200mA output that is capable of controlling the included relay.

Pin 85 of the relay connects to the red wire of the KPtech module

Pin 86 of the relay connects directly to the purple wire on the KPtech module

Pin 87 of the relay connects to the red wire of the KPtech module through the supplied 15A fuse

Pin 87A connects to the switch side of the back window motor close wire

Pin 30 connects to the motor side of the back window motor close wire

You must cut the back window motor close wire in order for this to work. The wire will then connect though the relay. The back window will still function as normal after this modification.

Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Clarification needed

Postby BillH » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Could you please clarify that this posting has the latest/correct install information? The printout that shipped with the module doesn't match your online directions. Specifically, the schematic has pins 85 and 86 switched from what your posting indicates.

Also, please provide guidance on the wire for rear window. I'm assuming this is the wire coming off the 4 pin connector (that attaches to the rollup switch) but I want to make sure.

I've connected the main rollup module and the rear window module and only the rear window isn't functioning. I've following the posted directions.
BillH

Postby KPierson » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

Pins 85 and 86 can be switched with no worries (they are simply the coil wires).

The wire should come from the harness that plugs in to the button to control the rear window. I don't own a Ridgeline and its been probably 18 months since I've installed one of these on an RL. Use a volt meter to verify the wiring before making any connections!

Good luck,
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

re

Postby BillH » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:45 pm

I've verified that I've got the correct rear window close wire. Without the relay plugged in, I couldn't close the rear window.

I've verified power to both +12 inputs. The odd thing is that the purple wire coming from the main module is always pushing +12. I would have expected it to only supply voltage when the windows were to be closed. Well, I haven't taken it out of the circut yet to see if it's actually coming from the purple wire but I'm reading the voltage at that terminal on the relay.

Do you have other troubleshooting suggestions?
BillH

Postby KPierson » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:52 pm

The purple wire will show 12vdc at all times because there is a constant 12vdc feed on the relay. The voltage bleeds through the coil of the relay looking for a ground. The purple wires output is open when not in use, so the voltage has no where to go (thus reading 12vdc).

When you activate the module can you hear the relay click? It's fairly loud, so it should be very noticable. While the windows are going up that 12vdc you are reading on the purple wire should drop to 0vdc as the ground out will be activated.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

re

Postby BillH » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:57 am

I haven't heard the click of the relay but I wasn't specifically listening for it. Testing is quite humorous as I'm holding the door panel with one hand, pressing the door lock button with the other and using one foot to hold the door switch closed.

I have the door buttoned up right now but I'll test with the current setup and put my ear close to the door panel.
BillH

Postby KPierson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:04 am

Yeah, the RLs are a pain because the door panel doesn't come off easily. It can come off, but its easier to just leave it attached.

Let me know if the relay is clicking or not and we'll go from there.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

rear window rollup

Postby BillH » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:43 pm

I attacked the rear window again this weekend.

This time, I started with the rear window at the mid-way position (instead of all the way open). What I found is that the rear window is opening instead of closing. I've verified that I have the wire specified in the instructions (blue/red I think). I must need a different wire but I'm not sure which one. There are only 3 others in that connector.

Would you be able to verify the correct wire color or the position on the connector? If not, I know there are a bunch of people on the Ridgeline forum with shop manuals which contain schematics.
BillH

Postby KPierson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:53 pm

The wire you are trying to find will read 12vdc when the window is closing, and will rest at ground at all other times. This would be the easiest way to determine the correct wire.

If I remember correctly the service manual has them printed backwards, so there is a lot of confusion.

Come to think of it, maybe they switched them somewhere along the way and they are blue/red for certain trucks and blue for the others (I think blue was the other color).

Keep us posted,
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Return to Window Roll-up Module (Honda/Acura)