Tap Splice connectors?

Moderator: KPierson

Tap Splice connectors?

Postby ajay10 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am

Can I use tap splice connectors to install this module? That would be much easier than stripping and soldering wires. Seems like it would be less likely to cause problems (with inexperienced solderers) as well. Is that a good idea or should I attempt the solder method?
ajay10

Postby KPierson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 am

We recomend that all connections be soldered so that our customers can enjoy our modules for years to come with no issues lingering from a poor install.

Soldering is the best method for in car connections as it is permanent and resistant to vibration and moisture.

Depending on the quality of the crimp connector you are using you could run in to a variety of problems, and that is why we don't recomend them.

If you do choose to go that route make sure your crimp connectors are the correct size - KPtechnologies uses 20awg wire in our wiring harnesses.

Our #1 issue with modules not working correctly after installation are due to the fact that the wires were not spliced properly (typically from using crimp connectors that are not sized correctly).

That being said, you can install the module any way you see fit - it won't void the warranty or make the module not work properly, as long as the connections are solid.

Good luck!
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Postby ajay10 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks, in that case I'll try the soldering method. Any suggestions for stripping the wires? Did you just use a sharp knife and scrape the insulation back? Is there any specialized tool for that sort of thing or just a regular wire stripper?
ajay10

Postby KPierson » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I just use regular strippers. Most wires you can strip in to them in the middle of the wire and slide the insulation back far enough to make the splice.

You can use a knive to scrape the insulation away, just be sure you don't cut yourself or the actual wire.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Return to Honda/Acura "One Touch" Sunroof Controller