Three Relay Pack!

Moderators: KPierson, SFLG35

Three Relay Pack!

Postby KPierson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:16 am

KPtechnologies has officially released its Relay Pack consisting of three independent 5vdc SPDT relays! What makes this pack unique from other relay packs on the market is that is is specifically designed for door lock control on vehicles that utilize priority door unlocking! Priority door unlocking is a popular OEM feature that allows the driver to unlock only the drivers door with the first press of the unlock button on the keyfob and then unlock the remaining doors by pressing the unlock button again.

By using three relays it is possible to retain the priority door unlocking.

Another unique feature is the Smart Interface. By utilizing 5vdc relays and an internal power supply it is possible to trigger each relay individually with EITHER a (-) signal or a (+) 12vdc signal! This gives the installer more control over how the relays are energized.

Each relay has a connection for the Common Contact and the Normally Closed Contact with the Normally Open contact internal tied to 12vdc. Other configurations will be available as requested. In addition to the relay contact/coil wiring the module does require a constant 12vdc and ground hook up for the internal power supply.

Current draw of each relay is approximately 80mA.

Below is a schematic of an individual relay. All three relays are laid out identical:

Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Re: Three Relay Pack!

Postby jabalula » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm

is this a pack of three or are the three relays built into one unit?
jabalula

Postby KPierson » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Three relays are built in to one unit.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby jabalula » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 pm

KPierson wrote:Three relays are built in to one unit.

Thanks
jabalula

Postby rayjr13 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 am

I am :?

I purchased this item thinking that this would be 3 SPDT relays each with independent trigger sources as well as independent NC and NO sources.

However the drawing on the instructions I received showed the NO source as tied to the +12VDC needed to operate the relay pack. Is this indeed the way this item is internally bussed/wired. I didn't intend to always drive +12VDC through the relay contacts. If it is internally jumpered to the same input wire can this be modified?

Is the relay in fact +5VDC triggered? Also is it birectional (meaning as long a 5VDC is applied it will toggle i.e. +5VDC or -5VDC if its wired "backwards").

This thread's drawing and the drawing in my instructions just aren't equivalent. Please explain thanks.
for clarification my instructions match what is posted here: http://www.kptechnologies.com/docs/RP20 ... lation.pdf
rayjr13

Postby KPierson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

We have had multiple versions of the relay pack over the years. Our original relay packs were in fact 5vdc but we switched to using 12vdc relay packs a while back. The relay pack should say on the label if it is 5vdc or 12vdc.

The relay pack was orginally designed to be a door lock actuator interface hence the 12vdc NC connection.

If you open the relay pack up you'll find 3 relays mounted to a circuit board and most likley 3 resistors (again, depends on version). You may be able to "rewire" the NC contact if needed to make it a (-) connection, to float it, or even to hardwire a connection to it. If you would like me to investigate this a bit more I can just let me know.

Alternatively, you can return it and purchase 3 SPDT relays and harnesses and go that route.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby rayjr13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:26 am

yuk to the 3 spdt relays I really like the concept of the internal relay design you have. I think I will take photos in the afternoon on tomorrow so you can advise for my weekend project. Again all i am after is having a wired input to the NC like there is for the NO connection other than 12+VDC.

Thanks again for your prompt response. btw I'm my other modules i purchased quite a bit! Good products.

I am most likely going to use at least two of them with a joycon ex and switch between applying the resistors in the steering wheel controls to the HU vs PC. if not one may get used with the "Beep Beep" module even tho i haven't minded not have a flash on unlock.
rayjr13

Postby rayjr13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 am

The Part is RP-20 "12VDC Relay Pack"

Internally there are three 100Ω resistors.

It appears the #2 pin "Ground" has it trace broken and doesn't connect to anything.
The #1 pin "+12VDC" is a soldered short to the end of the #2 trace. The resistor are through-hole soldered to the end of the #2 trace (meaning they are inline with the ground wire, but electrically connected to the +12VDC input)

If I desolder the resistor from the 12VDC, should I leave it connected to the NO contact pin? Meaning is there some electrical need on the relays contact I am unaware when passing 12VDC to the common?

Otherwise I will just remove the resistor and solder on a wire to each of the pin on the back of the relays.
As a matter of fact I'll just do that and if the resistor is needed according to what I hear back from you I will just resolder it in line with my wire.

Thanks for your help.
rayjr13

Postby KPierson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

The resistors are for the coil, NOT the NC contact. The resistors MUST remain in place or the relays will be damaged.

The NC contacts are shown below:

If you are trying to make all three relays seperate you will have to cut the 12vdc feed trace off the bottom side of the bottom circled pad from the above picture. Then, you will need to break the traces between all three circled pads. You can then solder wires to the pads and bring them out of the case.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby rayjr13 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Got it thanks....back to the soldering board
rayjr13

Return to Relays and Relay Pack