2007/8 G35 Navi Bypass Installation

Moderators: KPierson, SFLG35

2007/8 G35 Navi Bypass Installation

Postby KPierson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:12 pm

In order to install the Navigation Bypass module on the 07/08 G35 sedans the wiring on the back of the radio brain needs to be accessed.

Start by removing the shift knob. On the automatic there is a small plastic trim piece at the base of the knob. Gently pull stright down on this and it will pop off. Next, remove the retaining clip that resides under the plastic trim piece. With the retaining clip removed the knob will come off by pulling up on it.

Once the knob is removed you can remove the trim panel that surrounds the shifter by pulling up on it - there are no screws, just clips holding it in place. I found it was easiest to put my fingers down inside the hole where the shifter comes through and grip the bottom of the panel. There are two harnesses that must be disconnected once the panel pops out. The trim piece around the screen can then be pulled stright out (I don't remember there being any screws holding it in).

With the first trim piece out you can remove two screws that hold the radio face in place. With the two screws removed the radio face will pull out, bottom first. There are two tabs on the top of the plate, but other then that it comes right out.

Now that the trim pieces have been removed you can see the main control unit - it is a big shiney box immediately behind the radio face. There are four screws holding it in - 2 underneath it and two above it that also hold the screen in place. When you remove all the screws the screen will have to be pulled out also, as its mounting backets rest on top of the control units mounting brackets.

After the unit is pulled out it really helps if there is somebody else to assist removing all the plugs. It seems like there are 20-25 plugs that have to be disconnected! (In reality there are probably 8 or so). All the plugs are unique so you don't have to worry about plugging anything back in wrong.

NOTE: With this unit unplugged do NOT turn the ignition power on. It may even be a good idea to disconnect the negative cable to the battery, although I didn't.

OK, now that everything is apart remove the navigation controls from the trim piece and also remove the back panel of the control panel to expose the circuit board. There are two wires that must be soldered -

With the two wires soldered on you can route them through the opening on the back panel of the control panel and put the control panel back together and back in the screen trim piece.

The last installation step is to wire up the module. Naturally, the two wires that we just soldered to the control panel must be connected to the same wires on the module (black and red twisted pair).

The main module has 6 wires on it:

Twisted Red - To "OK" button
Twisted Black - To "OK" button
Yellow (fused) - To switched igntion (Purple)
Black - To ground (Black)
Green - (-) to VSS Bypass relay (Pin 85 of included relay)
Purple - Reverse input (Only needed if OEM back up camera is present, orange)

The included relay has 5 wires on it, identified by pin numbers (remove the relay from the socket to view the pin numbers)

Pin 85 - To KPtechnologies VSS output (Green)
Pin 86 - To switched ignition (Purple)
Pin 30 - To one side of VSS Wire (Gray) (VSS wire must be cut)
Pin 87A - To other side of VSS Wire (Gray) (VSS wire must be cut)
Pin 87 - Not used

In the pictures you can see the relay Pin 86 wires with the yellow wire of the KPtech module. You can also see the gray wire in the OEM harness that has been cut to allow the VSS bypass to function (program while moving). Lastly, you can see the connection for ground for the module.

Now that the unit is wired up plug all the harnesses back in to the radio control unit BEFORE testing the unit. ***** IF YOU TURN THE IGNITION ON WHILE THE UNIT IS UNPLUGGED YOU WILL TRIP EVERY CAUTION LIGHT ON THE DASH WHICH MAY REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE DEALER ***** I learned this the hard way, but we were able to reset every light after about 60 mintues of messing with different reset procedures. The second install I did, I did NOT turn the igntion on but the air bag light still came on - this can be reset with a simple procedure of turning the ignition on, waiting for the air bag light to shut off, then within 1 second turning the ignition back off (repeat this 4 times).

It can be a bit tricky getting everything back together before testing, as you will need access to the module for tuning the "OK" delay time. I was able to place the unit behind the dash to the passengers side of the radio control unit - there is a pocket there just big enough for the module.

To enable the VSS Bypass mode you must press the "OK" button and hold it down for at least 2 seconds. Once you release the button you should be able to hear the relay click. With the relay energized you should have full access to programming the navigation unit as if you were sitting still

NOTE - As a safety precaution video will still NOT be able to be displayed on the screen.

If there are any questions or corrections please let me know!
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
http://www.KPtechnologies.com
KPierson

Re: 2007/8 G35 Navi Bypass Installation

Postby KPierson » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Just a heads up - there are two identical plugs behind the meda box (the big silver thing).

One connects to the Unified meter and A/C amp (the white plastic thing on top of the media box) and the other plugs in to the media box. PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION to not cross them. It is pretty obvious which one goes where based on the amount of wire available, but if you don't know that there are two and just start plugging things in it is very easy to get them backwards (I know this from personal experiance).
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby Immortal2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:27 am

The procedure for resetting the air bag light also works the same for the 2008 Infiniti G37.
Immortal2

Postby KPierson » Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm

A few more installation notes:

To remove the trim piece from around the shifter you will have to set the parking brake, turn the ignition on, and shift the shifter to the back most position. If the shifter is left in park you will not be able to lift the panel around it.

When putting the radio face back on make sure you line up the compact flash slot with the compact flash release stem. The opening tolerance is very tight and if it isn't lined up perfectly it won't go back together correctly.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby garyjay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:27 am

Kevin,

I just received my '07 and up Navi Bypass module and relay and am looking through the installation instructions to become familiar with it prior to installing in my car. I have noticed something very strange. My relay seems to not have the right wire configuration. Looking down on the wires coming from the relay, there is one wire at the top (green), and then in a line, left to right, Red-Blue-White. So then pull the plug off to see what pins the wires go to. The Green wire socket slides onto the top pin number 87. The Red slides onto pin 86, Blue onto pin 87a and the White onto pin 85. NOTHING connects to pin 30.

__ <--- Green - 87
Red-86 --> | __ | <--White - 85
^------Blue - 87a
|<-no connection - 30

Anyway, this does not tie out to the diagram in the instructions. The instructions indicate that "One Side of VSS" goes to pin 30. But as you can see, I have no wire coming out of the plug to connect to the vss.

Might you shed some light on this? Am I misreading something? I'm happy to send you a jpeg picture so you can see what I'm talking about if this isn't clear.

Thanks! Gary
garyjay

Postby garyjay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 am

Kevin,

In your installation guide above, you mention "Purple - Reverse input (Only needed if OEM back up camera is present, not sure of color at this time)".

I have the backup camera on my '07 G35. Do you now know what color the reverse input is?

OR TO OTHERS MONITORING THIS FORUM

Does anyone who is looking at this forum and has installed the module know what color they tied into for the reverse input?

Thanks! Gary
garyjay

Postby chris c. » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:14 am

for the 08 g35 is the wire color orange for the reverse input for camera?????????
chris c.

Postby KPierson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 am

We believe the wire to be orange but it is up to the installer to verify with a volt meter. I'm trying to arrange an installation to verify but I'm having a hard time locating a car.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby F SANE IL » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:25 am

UPDATE and ADDITIONAL HACK!

In this image, the ORANGE wire on the bottom row in the middle is the backup camera wire when camera is present.

The light blue wire(in the picture its left of grey an white wires on the plug), is the parking brake wire. If you want to have the screen play video while driving, cut this wire and ground it permanently!
If you want to make sure that this wire is the correct wire, use a volt meter. The wire will be negative (- ground) when the parking brake is pressed.

To actually play video, you will need to:
1. Press and hold your OK button to engage your nav bypass module
2. Have an ipod or iphone connected to the AUX connections and start your video

IL
F SANE IL

Postby blownrx7 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 am

The light blue wire(in the picture its left of grey an white wires on the plug), is the parking brake wire. If you want to have the screen play video while driving, cut this wire and ground it permanently!

Just want to be clear on this, when you say to ground the wire permanently, are you referring to the cable side or the connector side?
TIA
blownrx7

Postby PJStyles » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Anyone in the Toronto area willing to do the install for me of the KPTechnologies module? I don't handle soldering very well... Any suggestions?

Thanks

PJStyles
PJStyles

Postby Georgeair » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Just wanted to compliment the extraordinary help this post and the photos were. Without them I'd never have been able to do this, with them it was a simple, straightforward process. A couple additions from my install;

For anyone not experienced with soldering connections, be aware the connection between the controller and the two pins next to the white plug illustrated above is very, very small. This created a very high pucker-factor for me, concerned that it would be impossible to successfully get this done without overheating and frying the board or bridging two of the adjacent circuits. It's doable, but go slow and easy.

I mistakenly thought the white plug I was bridging the Enter button from was on the first board I got to, although that was a mistake! The plug on the back of the board behind radio/climate control face looks identical and is fact the other end of the cable coming from the Nav control panel. However, this is NOT the right panel (although it may work). You are connecting to the backside of the panel actually connected to the Enter button, on the backside of the uppermost part of the center stack, under Nav controls. Others may not be as stupid as me and have already connected one to the wrong spot, but just in case...... :roll:

When using the controller the first few times I noticed the volume of audio seemed to change as the relay was cycled on/off. At first I assumed this was installer error (see issues above!), then realized it was a function of having reset my speed-sensitive volume controls. When the relay bypasses the VSS, the audio assumes you're stopped and decreases the volume. Not a big deal, but you might notice it too.

Thanks again for a great product!!
Georgeair

Postby golden » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 am

Hi,
I turned on the ignition key bye mistake during insolation and now all the indicator lights are ON
and the navigation system dosen't work also the audio system.
what can i do?

best regards,
golden

Postby KPierson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

The best thing to do would be to unplug the battery for a few minute and try to get everything to reset. As far as your navi not working, I would check fuses - maybe something shorted when you turned the ignition on.
Kevin Pierson
Director of Engineering
KPierson

Postby golden » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I checked all fuses in the driver side everything it's ok. my problem is the center console doesn't work and there is no response for anything also i can't see infiniti logo in the screen when i turn ON the ignition.
golden

Next

Return to Navigation Bypass Module